Sunday, January 2, 2011

Ringing in the New Year 2011!!

Happy New Year!! I decided to change up my blog a little bit, and came up with the idea of Laura's Blonde Moments because when I sat down with my husband to brainstorm titles, he said what about Laura's Life Highlights.. but then I thought of being blonde and with all of my quirks, what better title to capture all of those moments both in my life, and the things I say. What better way to bring in a new year than with a brand new blog address. Lets just say that I was ready for a change and it was the right time to change.
  I have to say that we didn't stay up to midnight like we originally planned, and in fact, for the second year in a row, we actually went to bed by 9! (sad, I know ha!) But with having a toddler who wakes up so early, it's just hard to stay up late anymore. We did make a fun night of cooking together and playing games with Ryder, but then when we were done.. we were done! We made sugar cookies with homeade buttercream frosting for dessert on New Years Eve to go along with the beef brisket and a recipe for mashed potatoes wrapped in a puff pastry that I got from the November issue of Southern Living magazine. If you're interested, here is the link. I just omitted the egg and it still came out delicious! Seeing Ryder and Scot making cookies together was a highlight of the night.
 

As the southern tradition on New Years Day goes, eating black eyed peas, pork, and greens (collards, turnip, kale etc) is key to a financially great year! We went with that tradition and made a delicious black eyed pea concoction and then used the collard greens that were leftover that my Grannie brought over. We also just used leftover ham that we had and combined it with bacon in both of the dishes. I added the beef brisket and mash potatoes dish that we had the night before, and with some of the best cornbread I have ever had (pat on the shoulder) it was a really good meal! I think everyone's plate.. Ryder included.. can confirm that! I hope for a Happy New Year to all and so far it has been!

1 comment:

  1. Happy New Year Laura.. saved the blog link! Looking forward to reading more from you! :)

    The pictures were adorable!

    ReplyDelete