Sunday, January 8, 2012

Sunday Blurbs

Oh Ya'll! Where to even begin!

I'll start off by saying that it sure has been a L-O-N-G week here! Hence the reason I haven't posted anything since Wednesday. That would be because Miss Brynley has had some major teething and crankiness going on. Like taking just 30 minute daytime naps after fussing for 5 hours. And doing the same thing at night. What we thought at first was regression, we later realized was teething. I feel little bumps along her gumline but nothing has erupted yet. The weird thing is that it seems like her canines are going to erupt because that is where I feel most bumps, than her lower centrals. Okay.. enough about teething!

Luckily we got the girl a good dose of orajel and just last night introduced infant tylenol in an attempt to help her. I prayed for her as I held her in my arms, rocking her in hopes to ease some of her discomfort. Poor baby! I wish there was a remedy but I'm just hopeful that we are on the track to getting some relief and sleep. It's also been a long week just in general. The new year brought new goals and attempts to work out and get a good dose of cardio each morning which also resulted in me being tired and sore. But I do feel better. It's just been a long week and I felt the need to voice it.

We went to church today and thought we could feed Brynley during the sermon, but she was just a fussy girl so I ended up walking out and walking up and down the hallway with her. I'd like to say I at least got something out of the message, but I pretty much just got to sing praise music before she got fussy. I also lost my cool with Ryder on more than one occasion over the weekend. Yet again resulting from me being so tired. I felt terrible, but the boy just really knows how to push buttons. I'm learning that spanking him just doesn't do anything, and that he seems to listen much better after a good timeout session.

I know it's just a season. And there are so many wonderful moments that I don't want to rush away, but if I could just get sleep I think I'd be feeling much better. I had a lot of moments too over the weekend where I questioned if we should just let Brynley cry it out or if she was truly in that much pain, would it be bad. So I guess I'm turning to you other moms. When did you move your children to their own crib and not in your room anymore? Also, when did you stop swaddling them? Any tips for teething? For one, we never had Ryder in our room, and we never swaddled him either. I guess in some ways it was better that we just did things that way to start, but with Brynley I didn't want to deal with going up and down the stairs a million times, and I didn't want her waking Ryder from sleep either.

I'm sorry for ranting and being so negative! I tried all weekend to be upbeat and positive, but it never failed by the end of the day as the fussing and no sleep tallied up, I was just at my wits end! Anyways, the good news is that the day is coming to an end, and despite all the fussing it was a humbling weekend where I had more than one moment with Ryder where I was just in awe of the little boy he is becoming. He has the biggest heart and is so compassionate, and it just made me realize that even when times are tough, there will always be a light at the end. Let's just hope that light to end Brynley's teething comes tonight!

Well, here's to hoping tomorrow's Blonde Moments will be a bit more lighthearted! Have a great night :)

3 comments:

  1. oh girl, I can totally relate. Gracie is cutting three teeth and she's not happy about it. She really hasn't been too bad though. Sometimes I have to give her multiple doses of tylenol a day :( I hope Brynley feels better soon. OH, and if I ever keep her with me at church, I always miss the message because she likes to have a good time and I always have a take her to the nursery. Have a great week! ~Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm so sorry :-( I felt like I was hardly ever able to sit through a church service until Joe was about 5 months old - crazy, but I volunteered in the nursery every other week, and on my "off" weeks he would cry so much that I just ended up getting pulled back in there with him. Chris and I have gotten better about saying, "Your turn!" and sharing the nursery calls more evenly.

    I moved Joe into his own room when he was 3 months old. He was so LOUD and I felt like we were actually a distraction to him. I had one of those "wits end" weekends and said, "Enough - into your own room from here on out!" So nice. I did have to get up more for those first 2 weeks with going into his nursery, but I found that when I did sleep, I slept more deeply because I was constantly hearing his snuffles and grunts.

    As for teething, one of my friend's babies had her canines erupt first, too. They called her the little vampire bat, ha ha :-) I have heard that amber necklaces help with teething - something about the amber being in contact with the skin (not to chew on!) helps. I've never tried it but it may be worth a shot. They're popular over here in NZ.

    And last but not least - in regards to swaddling: we swaddled Joe and many people told me that we should stop by the time he was 3 - 4 months old. Ha! I tried to do that and he wasn't having it. I eventually bought a looser swaddle wrap where his arms weren't down at his sides and he could still work his hands into his mouth a bit, and then did one arm out at a time. The wrap that I bought made it really easy to do that - a Woombie that converted into a sleep sack where the arms snapped off - and he was off it by the time he was 6 months old.

    So, there is my LONG reply with what we did - these are just suggestions though and each baby is different!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HUGS!! Its hard enough to deal with a fussy baby with enough sleep, but add sleep deprivation and it is just rough :( I will be praying for you! As for advice, we swaddled both kids until they started regularly kicking out of the swaddle which was right away with Sula and until maybe three months or so with Colt. I dont really remember. I have never really done the cry it out method only because both my kids were good sleepers and only didnt sleep well when they were in pain. I might let them fuss a little but if they were just fussing a little but I just could never let them full out cry. Sorry if I am no help! Hope this week is going better!

    ReplyDelete