Saturday, December 31, 2011

A Look at New Years Eve Past

With New Years Eve in just a day, I thought I would share our family pictures from the past New Years as we celebrated together. Growing up, New Years Eve wasn't a big deal. Every now and then I would stay up late enough to watch the ball drop but I never put too much thought into the New Year resolutions or anything. That was until I met Scot. I really couldn't tell you what we did before kids. Maybe we spent our first year or two staying up together, but he would always have me write out my New Years resolutions as I balked at the idea and how I knew I would have them broken within the first month. I'd much rather make goals for myself than actual resolutions. Or things I would like to strive towards achieving, without all of the stress if I break one or not!

2008
Our first New Years Eve as a family of Three! Ryder was two months old, as you can tell by the tired eyes of mine! We celebrated with my mom and stepdad by going to dinner at Chilli's (also one of the first times out to eat with my parents and a baby). Then we attempted to stay up, but with sleep so rare during those first few months, we ended up doing a feeding and passing out ourselves ha!

2009
Much more rested up to have fun and celebrate, we got dressed up and made fun champagne drinks and spent most of the night playing with Ryder. We also got out the Wii and took turns playing games. We laughed that this was our big New Years Eve, though the thought of being anywhere else, fighting for parking downtown Charlotte and being out with all of the partying kids made me cringe. I was learning that this was the new life of Scot and Laura and I wouldn't trade it for anything! We tried our hardest to stay up for the ball to drop, but by 11, we were done. Of course we still wrote out our resolutions and I'm sure I broke a few, but it was a fun night as a family!

 2010
 Last year, since we had just gotten back from our road trip to New Hampshire, we were much more low key for New Years Eve. It wasn't confirmed, but I was also thinking of the possibilities of me being pregnant, as we had been actively trying since October. (My thoughts were later confirmed in January :) 
 I did indulge in a glass of champagne, and again we attempted to stay up to see the ball drop, but it just didn't happen. It's become a joke in our house now that we will always attempt to stay up, but can't ever quite make it to midnight! Maybe this year will be different, since it's when we wake for a feeding anyways!
 We mixed things up a bit though, and made a feast fit for a King! We had beef, puffed potato pastry, black eyed peas and greens to bring us all good luck and good fortune into the New Year. I will say, it was a first tradition that we now want to do each and every year. Reflecting over the past year, it has been such a good year and I can say that we have been blessed in more ways than one! The birth of my baby girl, our health, great jobs (which was bittersweet for me to leave, but I'm getting to live out my dream now as a SAHM), financially thriving (and fingers crossed for Scot making Presidents club at the end of this year). We have so much to be grateful for and to give all of the glory to God for making it all possible! And if it's any chance that all of this was made possible by having greens, cornbread, black eyed peas and pork, then I'm willing to try it again each New Years Eve and New Years day to come!
Here's wishing you and your family a very Happy New Year!

1 comment:

  1. Hope you made it until Midnight this year! So funny about you all falling asleep. I think I have made it just about every year except one but New Year's are now much different than they were prekids!

    ReplyDelete