Sunday, February 13, 2011

A Valentine's Weekend

While Scot was still out of town on a business trip to Atlanta, my mom and stepdad picked Ryder up from daycare while I was still at work, and took him to play at one of the nearby playgrounds by our house. It was a special treat for him to see his Nana and Pawpaw that he loves so much. Afterwards, once I got off work, I met them and we headed to Steak and Shake for a yummy dinner. Ryder doesn't get spoiled with ice cream much, so he was very excited when they brought out our chocoalte shake to share. He was very good and ate really well, so all of that playing he did with my parents must have brought on an appetite! We are still working on our manners in a restaurant, but it has helped that he has graduated to a booster chair and can sit at the table with us like an adult. I think part of his frustration is that he wants to always be on the move, and it's hard to sit at the table and wait for everyone to finish their meal. He was still pretty good, but didn't want any part of wearing the hat. I still tried to get my mom to take a quick picture, but the quality wasn't very good because she took it with my blackberry camera phone.
 Speaking of phones, I have decided that I realllly want the new iphone4 from Verizon and can't wait to switch carriers from AT&T over. I have some pleading still to do, but am hoping by my birthday in March that I will be able to convince Scot to get one for me. I like my blackberry but the service is very bad in our area and it's so slow compared to the Verizon iphone. I had to go try one out the day that they came out at the Verizon store and fell in love at first sight. I don't think I will be getting one for Valentine's Day, but March isn't far away. We typically don't buy for one another on Valentine's Day, but we make it more of a family day now that we have a child. Isn't it funny how life changes after a baby? It definitely becomes richer!
 
 Scot came home Saturday morning and we were very happy to see him! We got to hang out for a little bit that morning and then he went with us to take Tucker to the vet for his annual exam and shots. I felt really bad for him, and it was harder to love on him while Ryder was wanting to be held and clinging to me. I thought wow this must be what it would be like to have two babies! We made it through his appointment and then we headed back home because it was approaching Ryder's nap time. I think Scot and I were just as tired, from getting up early and just not sleeping well while Scot was away. We decided to do a family snuggle in bed at nap time and it gave us time together since we had missed him so much while he was away for a few days. I think Ryder was especially happy to have him home, to play rough and tumble games with since I am the lover and don't really like all of the rough and tumble play that they like. We decided to take a trip to the mall to see if they had any sales going on since we had a few coupons for some of the stores for Ryder. We have been very blessed with hand me downs from my sister in law's sister, and my mom has given Ryder a lot too, but we still knew he was coming up on needing some 3T's, and with the Spring just around the corner too. It also gave us an excuse to get out of the house and we love shopping!
 At first Ryder just wanted to go outside and play, Lovey in hand, but then realized that we were going to get in the car and go somewhere and he got excited. The boy takes after his Mommy and Daddy because we are always up for an adventure, even if it's just a quick grocery trip or a Target run. It was a success at the mall, even though everyone else in town had the same idea because it was crowded! I was excited to find a lot of really cute shorts and shirts for Ryder and can't wait to see him in them this Spring and Summer. After our shopping, we rented a movie at redbox for Ryder and were ready to go home and call it a day! I couldn't believe the day had slipped away from us so fast, and by the time we got home it was 7 o'clock! It was nice to be together as a family again, and we finished the rest of the night watching Alpha and Omega. We didn't finish it, and it was cute but just didn't hold our interest. We also should have known better than to have rented any kind of movie with an animal in it because Tucker went nuts and barked the whole time ha! I am loving Redbox though, and probably wouldn't waste the time and money at Blockbuster ever again. We used to have the rewards program with them, but redbox is so much easier and affordable. (and this isn't a paid advertisement or anything, I just really like redbox ha!)

 This morning we got up and assembled Ryder's Valentine's bags for his classmates for their party tomorrow. He helped me fill each bag with choloates, starburst candies, heart bubbles, and a Cars pencil. He did a good job of following directions and was a really good helper! I wish that I was able to see his class as they exchange valentines tomorrow, and I know that he will have a great time. He kept asking for candy as we filled each bag, and I kept telling him he would get lots of candies at his party tomorrow.

 I had to show off one of Ryder's Valentine's shirts "Mommy's Handsome Little Devil"- too cute!

 I got cleaned up and we got ready to head out to run more errands and to finish up our shopping. I knew I needed to find an Easter outfit for Ryder that he could also wear for his two year old pictures he was having taken next weekend. We had looked a few places at the mall yesterday but I just hadn't found what I was looking for. The older he gets the harder it seems to find dressier outfits, but every aisle always has the cutest little girl clothes. I guess retailers think little boys don't need to be dressed up ha!
 We had success and after all the shopping and errands, we were all hungry so Scot mentioned a craving for hotdogs, so Big League Hotdog we went! I think that Ryder was especially happy about the sweet tea I let him share with me. Ryder was very behaved and after lunch, Scot took him to the potty at the restaurant. He is doing so well with potty training, but being in public has proven to be more of a challenge. I was so proud when Ryder and Scot came out of the bathroom to hear that he had indeed gone potty! Now if we can just work on poo poo's this Momma will be happy. (Sorry for TMI!) I will say that we were driving last weekend and all of a sudden Ryder started crying in the backseat and grabbing his theighs. I thought maybe the carseat was too tight and it was pinching him or something, but then realized he had to go potty. We weren't sure what to do because we were on a country road with no potty in sight. Then Ryder started crying out " I need to go Potty I need to Potty" so we did what any potty-training-parent would do. We pulled into a deserted field and let Ryder out to go potty. This is one way that he is lucky he is a BOY ha! I don't know what we will do when he is older and in big boy underwear, but it sure has opened my eyes to the world of parenting.
Shopping was a success! Now I just have to find a place for all these new clothes, which shouldn't be too hard since we can weed some of Ryder's smaller things out. I'm looking forward to spending the rest of the day relaxing and enjoying this gorgeous (springlike) weather. Happy Sunday Ya'll!

No comments:

Post a Comment