We got to my inlaws house by 10 that night and they were so happy to see us! Ryder had just taken a "Grandson Vacation" with them to Dollywood a few weeks ago, but they were just as excited to see everyone as if it had been longer. Living out of state can be hard, and we don't get to see them often. I had suggested getting the kids changed in their jammies at our last stop before arriving to their house, so they were all set for bed once we got there. Right away Ryder snuggled with his Grammy and ate popcorn.
The next morning Scot had some errands to run with his Dad, so the kids and I stayed home with Scot's Mom and we got to talk and catch up. This truly was one of the best visits we've had with my inlaws. I don't really want to get into specifics, but it has been a challenging few years with them over the years and living out of state doesn't help. We have forgiven one another and I think this trip really helped to mend things with them. I have prayed and prayed over this, and I know Scot has too. So all I know to say is that God truly has his hands in our relationship and I'm very thankful for this!After the guys got home we took a dip in their pool. We don't have a neighborhood pool and the only interaction the kids have with pools is when we visit friends who have one, or at my Mom's. They both did really well in it though and I think Brynley is going to be my little water baby! Ryder's favorite part was riding along in the Fire Boat with Grampa and squirting everyone with his foam waterguns. Of course after awhile, he didn't even mind getting wet and before we knew it he had gotten his hair soaked and wasn't even aware of it! I guess this was the best way to get Ryder over his fears of being in the pool and getting wet haha!
And as for Miss B, she hung out in the shallow end of the pool and did great! She liked being able to stand and then when she wanted to play toys she would sit in the water and splash away.
She wasn't too sure of this float though!
I love this picture!
We went to South Daytona Beach too while we were there, and it was the first beach trip with Scot's parents. I wanted the kids to have memories at the beach with both of their grandparents, and we made many fun memories! The weather was perfect and I got to lay out and read a book even while Brynley hung out with Grammy in the shade, Scot surfed, and Ryder played in the sand with his Grampa. We stayed a few hours and then drove back to their house.
Part of the time, Scot, Brynley and I stayed in a hotel near his parents house, and I think that was helpful in giving everyone their space! It really made a difference this trip. Strange to some, sure, but I think in this relationship it's necessary so that everyone isn't right on top of each other. The next day we went to a local amusement park with rides. We've done Disney with his parents twice, so we just wanted to do something on a whim after going shopping because Grammy wanted Ryder to get to ride a few rides this time. He loves Monster Trucks so of course he loved standing in the tire of one!
Although Ryder has ridden more roller coasters during his trips to Dollywood, this was the first one I'd seen him ride. When we went to Disney World, Animal Kingdom, and Epcot before, he was riding most of the rides with his Grammy and Grampa so I didn't get to see this face of excitement!
The rest of our time with Grammy and Grampa was spent playing in the pool, grilling out, talking, laughing, hugging and kissing on baby legs and toddler faces, playing baseball and trying to fly a kite. We are hoping to go back this Fall to celebrate my Mother in Law's 60th birthday, but overall it was a very good trip!

What a fun trip! It sounds like you guys have got the whole road-trip thing down, especially the smart bit about having them in PJs by the time you arrived. Very good idea!
ReplyDeleteGod truly is the Healer of all things, including relationships :-) I'm very glad that you and your in-laws all seem to be on better footing with one another. Those family relationships can be tricky!
I TOTALLY understand the hotel thing! Especially with kids. Where do your in laws live. My in laws will probably move to Florida soon. They stay in the winters at Merritt Island.
ReplyDelete