So the adventures continue as we made our way home from Florida, we decided to do a mini vacation in Hilton Head Island, South Carolina. It really broke the long drive home up, and gave us some family time as a family of FOUR now! Scot and I realized this was actually our first family vacation with just the four of us. With the uncertainty looming around the corner, we did have another trip planned this August at the beach, but we just aren't sure what the future holds for us and we wanted to make the most of the time at the beach while we still could.
We have racked up a lot of Marriott points, so we got to stay two nights at the resort and spa. Marriott didn't compensate me. We just love their hotels and typically stay there when we travel. Not that we didn't lurve the Four Seasons while we were in Maui, Hawaii. But that kind of travel is not in our budget right now.
We weren't sure what the weather would turn out to be, because as we were making arrangements to stay here, we booked it on a whim before realizing Tropical Storm Beryl was "barreling through" and could possibly hit Hilton Head. But we went ahead with our travel plans and I'm so glad we did! The weather was perfect! There were a few clouds in the sky when we arrived, but after quickly suiting up and getting down to the beach, the sun came out shining and we spent the rest of the afternoon playing in the sand and surf. Ryder was just so happy to be at the beach, and we are learning it may very well be his happiest place on Earth! He often asks if we can go back to the beach, even if we've just made a trip there. We would all love to live on the coast someday I think, but we will see if that's in God's plans for us. Ryder and his Daddy getting ready to dig away!And I just love taking pictures, but took most of these with my iPhone because I just didn't want to drag the video camera and my big camera around with the other beach bags that we already had. Turns out sand can find its way in your dry beach bag no matter how hard you try to keep it away. I can't wait for the day when Scot can teach both kids to surf. I love that he is sporty (not me), and if our children have any hopes of being athletic, it will be because of him for sure!
Once we'd had enough at the ocean, Ryder wanted to go in the indoor heated pool. He had done so good at my inlaws pool and we wanted to continue honing his swimming skills, and trying to get him to improve his fears of the water. I think it helped that the pool was heated, so he just thought of it as a big bathtub. Brynley on the other hand did GREAT! She really is a little water baby and doesn't show one bit of fear from the water. Maybe it makes a difference that she sees Ryder in the water.
I'm so proud of my boy and looking back at these pictures, we just had such a fun time! This was the coolest sand castle and of course my boy loved the Alligator! We get a lot of pictures from Ryder these days like this. Looking up or down, or making a face, sticking his tongue out or puffing his cheeks up. Oh yes, we usually have to bribe him to get good pictures of him smiling at the camera!
Poor Ryder had an accident in the elevator on the ride up to our room! He busted his lip and ended up using Brynley's teether to keep his swelling down. Brynley looked so cute in her yellow dress.
And my Ryder insisted on sleeping next to his "new" goggles haha!
The next day we did have some clouds, but the sun peaked out enough so that we were warm. I found this hammock and curled up with my babies while Scot surfed. This was the best two day vacation! Scot came back from surfing to find us. Brynley didn't nap well and was fighting it so hard, so the ocean breeze, warm air, and sun finally put her out as we rocked in the hammock!
The storm the night before blew in and with it blew some jelly fish
horseshoe crabs
and swarms of dolphins on shore and popping up in the ocean, and look how close it was to shore!And these tiny crabs that we thought were bugs at first! Ryder ran screaming and then I told him it wasn't a bug but a crab. At this point he had seen enough "wildlife" and was ready for more pool time
So that's just what he got! If you made it through all of my pictures, you've done well haha! I just wanted to remember the fun we had and I'm just not sure what the summer holds for our vacations to the beach, but this was a sure way to kick off the summer!
Brynley and Sula just look so much alike I think! I am jealous of your beach pictures. We arent taking one until August and I cant wait! We are going to North Carolina beach for a wedding. Should be fun!
ReplyDeleteThat looks like a great trip! You've got some water babies there. I love your striped bikini top with the solid bottom, so cute!
ReplyDeleteI pray that things work out for y'all so you can take that vacation in August!