Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Random Wednesday: SAHM edition

  • Random Wednesday really snuck up on me this week, mostly because this has been such an "off" week for me, first by having a holiday on Monday, and second because this started our first week staying at home! We are all three still trying to get into a groove and some kind of a routine, which I have heard is crucial to being a SAHM.
  • For Scot, he's been spoiled having the house to himself to work from home and he is having to adjust to a full house with noise. For Ryder, he is adjusting to having to listen to just me, and trying to understand to leave Daddy alone while he is upstairs working. For me I am just adjusting to this new chapter in our life, making sure to keep Ryder entertained and keeping the house organized and just in general figuring out time management in the day. So far, I LOVE staying at home with Ryder and I think the feeling is mutual. A few times Ryder has said he didn't want to go to school, and once he did ask where his friends were. We are all adjusting to staying home, and will soon have to adjust with a newborn, but I'm sure we will eventually get into the groove of things and figure it all out.
  •  I found so many great websites with lots of resources to help "plan" our day. Two of my favorites are: apples4theteacher.com and everythingpreschool.com
  • By using these websites I was able to print off a calender for the next three months (I stopped in December when Scot told me I was becoming obsessive with the lesson planning ha!) and found fun activities, crafts, and books to go along with each fun day. I dont't have something planned everyday,but at least a few days a week I have fun things planned to do. Tuesday was "Picnic Day", so we did all things relating to having a picnic.
  •  First we colored our ant pictures and made a finger painting of things we would find on a picnic. Next we made a picnic collage using pictures we found in a Pottery Barn Kids magazine and then I let Ryder glue them onto a paper plate. Later we took a walk around the neighborhood, and I pointed out things you might see on a picnic.

  • Then Ryder helped me make ants on a log and sandwiches for our picnic
  •  By lunch time, Scot joined us for a picnic by the lake and then we came home to play the rest of the day. I wasn't really sure how our first day staying at home would be, but it actually went really well and I was so happy to get to spend all of the time with Ryder.
  • I will say that Ryder fought naptime yesterday, which made for a long afternoon, but I'm hoping he will go down easy from here on out because I think we all needed the sleep!
  • Today was "Career Day" since it was Labor Day this week, so we spent the morning coloring more pictures of policemen, garbage men, and an astronaut. I let Ryder pick out the careers he thought he would like to be one day. He LOVES all kinds of trucks right now, and was so excited to color and paint his garbage truck.
  • Later I took him to the library where we loaded up on books. We got two bags full! Ryder loves to read and I love reading to him, so it was a win win for everybody.
  • Tomorrow is my first MOPS meeting and I am so excited to have fellowship with other mommies and strengthen my relationship with God too! They meet every other week, which is perfect for us.
  • I have also discovered two groups of play groups that meet in my area. One is through the Meetups website and another is from a lake norman mommies group that started. There are so many options and there seem to be lots of fun activities for each week, so it gives me comfort to know there are fun things we can do with other mommies and kids rather than just being in the house all day.
  • As Brynley's induction date gets closer, I have really been reconsidering this and think that I am actually going to cancel the date for next Tuesday. I go to my OB appointment this Friday and will let my midwife know my decision then. Thank you for the advice on my last post about the epidural/induction! I just have to remember that no matter what, I will get a baby in the end and I really shouldn't be so worried about what to do.
  • Tonight I'm making this recipe for crockpot cheesy tortollini that I found on Kelly's Korner Blog. I love that she hosted so many recipes from her followers and will definitely be making more crock pot meals as I start juggling life with a very busy toddler and a newborn! It sounded really yummy and by the aroma filling the kitchen, I would say it will taste really good too!
  • I know that this was more of a post about our week so far rather than randoms, but that is where my head is right now, and I'm sure there will be lots of randoms to follow.
  • Happy Wednesday Ya'll :)

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like fun so far- you are such a good mom! I can't wait for your baby girl to get here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look so great! And I love the lesson plans and activity calendar ideas - definitely something that I am going to have to utilize when Joe is a bit older :-)

    Hope you're surviving and enjoying this last bit of your pregnancy - not much longer, now!!!

    ReplyDelete