Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A Weekend Full of Lions, Tigers, and Pools.. oh my!!

Here it is the middle of the week, and I totally forgot to post our events from last weekend when we drove to Greenville, SC to see my brother and sister in law. We had come up with the idea to come see them a few days before, and with our June calender already filling up, we decided that last weekend was a better time than ever to go see them for the day. It's only a 2 hour drive from our house which is nice, because we can get there and back and not feel like we had drove all day.

 When we got there, my brother was happy to see us and to spend time with Ryder and Scot playing ball in the yard. We also realized how much fun Ryder had and that we may need to get him a tee ball bat and ball to play in our backyard. I teased my brother and told him how good he was with Ryder and wanted to know when I would get a nephew of my own. I haven't really asked them when they want kids until I got pregnant with Brynley, and it's all I can think about now because I know we are done having our children, and I want Ryder and Brynley to have cousins soon so they can grow up close in age. Yes I know I'm selfish ha!

 We got to the Greenville zoo early to beat the crowds and the heat, and we came right to the elephant exhibit. It had been a long time since I had visited a zoo, but I was happy to see the animals and to take a few pictures in front of them. It was all Ryder could talk about too, and he was so excited and was naming off all of the animals that he wanted to see, except for the lion.


 Mr Cool "driving" his zoo car and wearing his Mr Cool shades ha! This kid loves his sunglasses and everywhere we go he wants to wear them even if the sun isn't bright. Just goes to show the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, and he's just like his daddy. We did get to see lots of animals though, including the many monkeys, red panda bears, snakes galore, a huge iguana, spiders that were bigger than Tucker, and so much more! I will say that Ryder wasn't so happy when we came up to the lions exhibit, but he quietly came up to the glass with the other kids and just stood there and watched.
 After a few minutes of seeing the lion, he realized they were behind the glass and couldn't get him, and he was okay with them. I was glad because it wasn't long after he had come to this realization when the lion got a little grumpy for some reason and started making hissing sounds and roars and then pounced on the glass towards a man holding his little girl. The odd thing was that it never phased the man, he just kept standing there holding his little girl, but we all backed away from the glass because you can never be too sure about animals from the wild. Especially a grumpy lion who hadn't had his morning coffee yet ha!
 Afterwards we got to see more turtles and alligators, and then we came to the giraffes. I love giraffes and they were all eating when we got there but the funny thing was that when my sister in law took this picture, we didn't realize it, but the giraffe had started moving towards us and then ducked to get in the picture with us (ha! or thats how it looked on the picture).

 Another of my favorites were the leopards because I think they are just so majestic and beautiful! They didn't stay out in plain sight long before lurking back in the tree to either cool off or hide from the nosey people and kids that were interupting their beauty rest.

 The funniest thing was that at the end of the zoo, there was a petting zoo with goats, pot bellied pigs, and chickens. As you can see from the picture, the goats were more like dogs and they loved being scratched. I had never met friendlier goats, and I had no idea that a goat liked to be scratched just like a dog! After petting the goats for awhile, we made our way to the end of the petting zoo and then noticed there were two black snakes in the pens with all of the animals too. I don't think they were supposed to be there, and we wanted to leave before finding out what was going to happen to them!
 After the zoo, my brother and sister in law wanted to take us near the Furman college campus and around the downtown Greenville area to show us around. The waterfall and views were breathtaking! We walked and walked and walked and just when I thought we had reached our destination of the greek festival that was happening downtown, we walked up more hills. I don't think I had gotten that much excercise in awhile but it felt good at the same time. I rewarded myself with two glasses of homeade lemonade and a greek pizza once we did make it to the festival finally. It was lots of fun and we walked back, making sure to hit the more shadier spots instead.
 On Sunday it was such a nice day out so we decided to get our "baby pool" out and get the backyard prepped for a fun summer. We had bought some cool pool toys like this big ball that sprays water, and lots of other toys for Ryder to play with in the pool. He did really well, and liked the fact that it was deep but he could still touch and felt safer that way. We only wished the water was warmer, but knew it wouldn't be long before the hot sun from the day would warm things up!


 I was just happy to get to lay out and get some sun! The best part of the pool was when it got too hot, I just hopped in to cool off, and then once I had cooled off I could get right back in my chair and lay out some more. Ahh, life is good!
We had a yummy dinner of grilled chicken and fresh veggies right off the farm and I made a cucumber and tomato salad to go with it which was so good and fresh, complete with a tall glass of homeade squeezed lemonade! I have been craving lots of tomatoes and fresh vegetables and fruits lately, so this hit the spot after a day playing in the backyard, and the yummy lemonade did just the trick to cool us off. It was such a fun weekend and we told my brother and his wife that we needed to make plans to get together again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment